Corticosteroids are synthetic drugs used for the treatment of many inflammatory diseases. They greatly reduce swelling and inflammation caused by the medical condition and relieve pain. Note that corticosteroids are different from anabolic steroids which many athletes and body builders use to enhance their muscles and performance. Anabolic steroids are illegal in many countries and are used only on doctor’s prescription. Corticosteroids have nothing to do with them and are common treatment for many medical conditions like arthritis and gout. You can buy these steroids Australia, USA, UK or in any other country freely. This article focuses on the uses and benefits of corticosteroids.
Medical Conditions Treated with Corticosteroids
These drugs are mainly used to treat medical conditions in which the natural defense system of the body does not work properly and the body suffers major tissue damage. They are also used in the treatment of inflammatory diseases such as,
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Vasculitis i.e. the inflammation of blood vessels
- Myositis i.e. the inflammation of muscles
- Sjögren’s Syndrome i.e. the infection of salivary and tear glands
Benefits of Corticosteroids
There are many benefits of corticosteroids and these medical drugs show effectiveness in the treatment of many diseases. Some of theses benefits are mentioned below.
- Corticosteroids saves organs such as liver when inflammation threatens to destroy them completely and as a result they become life saving drugs.
- In the patients of liver diseases and vasculitis, corticosteroids help prevent kidney failure by reducing the inflammation in kidney and eliminates the need for kidney dialysis or transplant. This is a great feat in medical science.
- Patients who suffer from chronic arthritis and gout can benefit from corticosteroids as they reduce the joint inflammation immensely and consequently relieve pain and stiffness.
- Continuous and high dosses of corticosteroids can treat severe flare up of arthritis as well.
Possible Side effects of Corticosteroids
Corticosteroids are given by injections, oral tablets and in the form of creams and ointments as well. However, there are certain side effects to taking this drug depending on these methods. These side effects are not adverse and vary from person to person.
- They can cause infection and allergic reactions in some patients.
- The bones, ligaments and tendons can weaken if the corticosteroids are injected on the same area frequently.
- Patients become prone to acne, excessive body hair and blurred vision.
- It can also result in insomnia, restlessness and increased appetite which leads to weight gain.